Top 10 Life Insurance Companies in India:
1. LIC (Life Insurance Corporation of India)
LIC, or Life Insurance Corporation of India, as it is known in its extended form, is India’s sole life insurance provider from the public sector. Having commenced operations in 1956, LIC is the oldest life insurance company in the country, and it was formed thanks to the amalgamation of over 245 provident societies and insurance companies. The company’s headquarters is located in Mumbai, and it currently boasts more than 110 divisional offices in addition to 8 zonal offices, more than 14 lakh insurance agents, and more than 2000 branches.
LIC offers stretching from term life insurance plans to investments to savings products. It is one of the few companies that is currently thriving in both rural as well as urban areas in the country.
2. SBI Life Insurance
SBI Life Insurance was registered in 2001 and commenced operations as a joint venture between BNP Paribas Cardiff and State Bank of India – two among the biggest service providers so far as the finance sector is concerned. BNP Paribas Cardiff holds 26% stock in the company while SBI holds the other 74%.
SBI has one of the largest product portfolios in the industry, offering solutions for a variety of situations. The unit-linked insurance plans made available by the company include SBI Life – eWealth Insurance, SBI Life – Smart Wealth Assure, SBI Life – Smart Scholar, SBI Life – Smart Power Insurance, SBI Life – Smart Wealth Builder, SBI Life – Saral Maha Anand and SBI Life – Smart Elite. The two child insurance plans that can be purchased from the company include SBI Life – Smart Champ Insurance and SBI Life – Smart Scholar.
3. ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company was formed as a joint venture between Prudential Plc., which is one of the largest global financial services group from the UK, and ICICI Bank, which is among the biggest and most successful private banking institutions in India. ICICI Bank holds 74% of the stake in ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company, while Prudential Plc. Holds 26%.
The company remains India’s primary private life insurer to have been accredited from Fitch Ratings with a National Insurer Financial Strength rating of AAA. ICICI Prudential has was also voted as the country’s Most Trusted Private Life Insurer for three years in succession thanks to its delivery of quality products and services.
4. HDFC Standard Life Insurance
HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company is among the best Life Insurance providers in India. It is a private institution that offers long-term insurance solutions to customers in almost 1000 cities across the country. The company was registered in 2000 and has its headquartered in Mumbai and currently boasts around 14,000 employees in addition to over 400 branches to ensure that all the insurance requirements of their customers are catered to. The main products offered by the company include investment, savings, pension and health in addition to other specially-designed solutions for women and children.
Among all its achievements, HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company stands out for becoming the pioneer in the finance sector to provide pension plans to customers under the new IRDA regulations. The company offers protection plans, health plans, retirement plans, young star plans, savings and investment plans, and women’s plans.
5. Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company was formed as a joint venture between Germany’s Allianz SE and India’s Bajaj Finserv. The company was registered in 2001 under the name of Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company and has turned out to be one of the best and most trusted life insurers in the country. The company also offer several general insurance products as well as other financial services in 70 countries across the globe. The company’s performance in recent years has been truly exceptional and its receipt of the “Best Life Insurance Company in the Private Sector” at the BFSI Awards ceremony in 2015 confirmed just that.
Among the child plans offered by Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company are Traditional Savings Plan – Bajaj Allianz Young Assure and Bajaj Allianz Lifelong Assure, while the investment plans made available to customers include Savings Plan – Save Assure, Savings Plan – Guarantee Assure and Investment Plan – Invest Assure.
6. Max Life Insurance
Max Life insurance company has developed a reputation for providing comprehensive retirement and life insurance solutions for protection and long-term savings to over 30 lac individuals across the country. Max Life Insurance Company has won several accolades over the years to show for its quality products and services, the most prominent of the lot being the “Best Underwriting Initiative of the Year” at the Asia Banking Financial Services and Insurance Excellence Awards in 2015.
The company boasts a relatively large product portfolio. The term life insurance plans offered by Max Life Insurance Company include Max Life Online Term Plan Basic Life Cover, Max Life Online Term Plan Life Cover + Monthly Income, Max Life Online Term Plan Life Cover + Increasing Monthly Income, Max Life Super Term Plan, Max Life Platinum Protect II and Max Life Premium Return Protection Plan. The unit-linked insurance plans offered by the company include Regular Premium plans, Ma Life Fast Track Super Plan and Max Life Maxis Super Plan
7. Birla Sun Life Insurance
The term life policies offered by Birla Sun Life Insurance Company Limited include Birla Sun Life Insurance Protector Plan Plus, Birla Sun Life Insurance Future Guard Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Easy Protect Plan and Birla Sun Life Insurance Protect @ Ease. The savings with protection plans you can purchase from the company include Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision MoneyBack Plus Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision Life Income Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision Endowment Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Savings Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision Life Secure Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Income Assured Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision Regular Returns Plan, Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision Endowment Plus Plan and Birla Sun Life Insurance Guaranteed Future Plan.
The only solution for children’s future offered by Birla Sun Life Insurance Company Limited is the Birla Sun Life Insurance Vision Star Plan. However, there are options to choose from when it comes to purchasing retirement solutions, including Birla Sun Life Insurance Empower Pension Plans, Birla Sun Life Insurance Immediate Annuity Plan and Birla Sun Life Insurance Empower Pension.
8. Kotak Life Insurance
One of the largest life insurance providers in India, Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company is a joint venture between Old Mutual Fund and Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. Old Mutual Fund holds 26% of the stake in the company while Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd. holds the remaining 74%. The headquarters of the company is located in Mumbai and the company has grown exceptionally ever since it commenced operations in 2001. You know India is the fastest growing insurance provider and currently boasts more than 4 million customers. The clam settlement ratio of the company is among the highest in the industry, highlighting the company’s quality business practice.
Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company has an impressive insurance product portfolio. The term life insurance plans that can be purchased from the company include Kotak Preferred e-Term Plan, Kotak Preferred Term Plan, Kotak Saral Suraksha and Kotak Term Plan. The unit-linked insurance plans offered by the company include Kotak Assured Income Plan, Kotak Single Invest Advantage, Kotak Platinum, Kotak Wealth Insurance, Kotak Ace Investment Plan and Kotak Invest Maxima.
9. Reliance Life Insurance
Now, it is among the most important subsidiaries of Reliance Capital, which is among the best financial service companies in the country. The company has a diversified business portfolio, and customers can find products across a variety of categories, including insurances of all types, mutual funds and asset management.
The company also employs more than 1 lac advisors, and has gained a reputation as the biggest non-bank supported private life insurance company. Reliance Life Insurance Company Limited has a relatively huge insurance portfolio too. Whether you are looking for protection plans, health plans, child plans, retirement plans, savings and investment plans, group plans or unit-linked life insurance policies, the company has it all.
10. IndiaFirst Life Insurance
If we talk about India country’s youngest life insurance companies then it is IndiaFirst life Insurance. With its headquarters in Mumbai, IndiaFirst Life has spread across 1,000 cities in India. It is a joint venture between Bank of Baroda with 44% stake, Andhra Bank with 30% stake, and Legal & General group with 26% stake. Legal & General group is UK’s pioneering risk, wealth and investment brand. The company boasts of immense experience in banking, wealth and financial management.
IndiaFirst Life has developed a range of products catering to needs such as savings, health, retirement, protection, and employee liability plans. Integrated technology across purchase, pre-purchase, and post-purchase cycle turning out a seamless experience for its stakeholders. IndiaFirst Life works on the ‘Customer First’ principle, making it a customer friendly insurance company. Products offered by this company are according to individual’s need & life goals of its customers. While in the individual product category, you can plan your protection, retirement, or even legacy, in the group product category, organisations can plan their protection and savings for their members.